One word cannot describe who I am. I am very complex but simple, loud but quiet... I am a constant contradiction to myself.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Haiti Day One/Two

Day one in Haiti was…intense. We arrived off the air plane, then went into customs where we stood in line to show our passports. Not sure if it was because my passport was fairly new or what but I got the third degree from the man who looked over my passport.
So, after collecting our bags with the help of some men from the mission, we began to make our way to the bus. On the way to the bus there were a few people outside at fence yelling at us. We then got on the bus and there were still people yelling at us. One guy told me I was beautiful and he loved me…hum.. LOL! So, we then began to drive to the compound. On the way to the compound we could see the devastation in Haiti. The thing I noticed most was the smells. There was burning trash everywhere, and many little vendors along the sidewalk. Not sure if you could call them vendors but they were selling stuff.
We finally made it to the compound after dark and began to unpack our bags. We decided not to unpack the night, and went to bed early. Some people decided they were going to sleep on the roof of the compound. I decided I was going to sleep in a bed, laid down and did not wake up till early this morning.
The start of today was breakfast of peanut butter and jelly, cereal, and coffee. Coffee was wonderful, and the sugar they had is real sugar, straight from the sugar cane!!  After breakfast was church, and it was fantastic. I could not understand a word they were saying but that in was okay. I could hear the music playing and it touched my heart! I also had a chance to sing the Haitian church, and it was a great experience.
After church we went on a tour to see the houses they were building for people who work here at the missions. We also took a tour of the clinic and their hospital. The houses were small concrete structures with four rooms. Not four bedrooms, four rooms all together for one family. One bedroom is for the parents and the other bedroom is for how ever many kids they have. The clinic is very small and seems to have many beds shoved into as many places as possible. The addition to the hospital is under the compound and does seem a little dreary, but it is the best they have.
I helped stoked the pharmacy with the medications we brought with us. That took pretty much the rest of the evening. Oh and we did have a break for lunch in between there. For lunch we had Haitian soup, mine had a worm in it, but I took it out and kept eating, it was pretty good stuff! For dinner we had rice and beans, salad, and chicken, YUM!!!
Now, I am going to bed (yes it is 8pm) so that tomorrow we can start clinic! Woot Woot

No comments:

Post a Comment