One word cannot describe who I am. I am very complex but simple, loud but quiet... I am a constant contradiction to myself.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tuesday in Haiti

Tuesday in Haiti February 8, 2011:
Woke up this morning in time to have breakfast which was bananas and pancakes! No butter for the pancakes but there was peanut butter and syrup. After breakfast I went over and began sterilizing instruments for surgery. It wasn’t too far into the day when there became a need for the instruments that were currently in the sterilizer. You see once the instruments are in, you start it, it gets to the temperature it is supposed to be at, then the 15 minute timer starts, after the timer goes off the door pops open but it still needs to dry. So really it takes 25-30 minutes to get one set done. So, it kind of became a rush to get things taken care of, but they were taken care of and done.
I got to watch a hysterectomy today and saw a tumor removed from a lady that was bigger than my head. WOW! It was really crazy. After watching two surgeries I went back to sterilizing tools, and running back and forth to the depot. The depot is where they keep over stock and I was the one in possession of the key today. Whew that was a work out!!! LOL Then it was time for lunch which was tuna salad sandwiches. Usually I would say no way to tuna, but here you eat what you get or don’t eat. (Well you would eat but only what you brought). Anyway, the sandwiches were good and spicy. I only had one because I could not bring myself to eat two….I mean they were good to satisfy the ache in my belly but not delicious.
After lunch we returned for surgery and one of the doctors was already in the process of one. This particular did not go very well and the patient was lost. It is not an easy thing to lose one, but there are so many things the doctors are doing that is so good, and one needs to focus on that sometimes. So, now we get the rest of the day off, so I think I am going to put on some shorts, a t-shirt, and go play some basketball!!
When I got back from playing basketball the internet was still down so I decided I would add a little! I played about three games of basketball, not really sure how many because when one ended another one started…lol. Then when we got together (our group) and got all the VBS stuff together for tomorrow. We also divided out all the rice to give out tomorrow also. So, as you can tell tomorrow we will be passing out rice and doing VBS in the evening. It is pretty exciting!!! Woot Woot!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment