One word cannot describe who I am. I am very complex but simple, loud but quiet... I am a constant contradiction to myself.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Wednesday in Haiti

Wednesday in Haiti February 9, 2011:

Early this morning I was still tossing and turning but finally got some sleep. Got up early this morning and kind of rambled around the room for a while. We were supposed to leave at ten then it became 10:30, and then we finally left around 11. It was only about a 15 min bus ride to the little village. When we got there the bus was parked and we looked up the hill and saw the school. So bags were unloaded from the back of the bus and hauled up the hill, then up steps to the school.
We were broke up into groups of two to go to the classrooms. Anne and I were partners so we went into the classroom. When I say classroom I am talking about a concrete room with 8 small benches packed with children. This rooms where very, very small, and there were about 50 kids in one class. The ages of the children did not determine what class they were in. The classes were divided by intelligence. Some classes had small children about 5 or 6 and children who were about 15. The reason for this is because a family may be able to send their child to school for a little bit but then run out of money so they will be pulled out of school. When the family has the money again the child will go back to school. It is really difficult to see this tiny concrete rooms packed with children.
We brought toothpaste, floss, tooth brushes, crayons, tissue paper, pipe cleaner, coloring books, and other items for the children. At one point Anne and I separated so we could teach in two different classrooms since there was one class that did not get anyone. So when we separated the class I was in became very hard to control. The teacher left, the translator was with Anne, and the children began to get out of their seats and backed me into a corner so they could have things. It was very hard to get them all back in their seats; I had to go get the translator to tell them to all sit!!!!! But after they sat down it was much better!!! So, the lesson was given, and things were passed out. When we went to get back on the bus the bus door was barricaded with children everywhere. It is almost heart breaking to know these children are willing to run each other down for an extra tooth brush.
After returning we had lunch which was mystery lunch meat of some kind…(It is kind of like spam). Then it was back to surgery. There was only one surgery done today due to one nurse being sick, one other person being sick, and some of the nurses not really have a good day. So, after the one surgery I began to sterilize all the tools they used. The surgery was a hysterectomy so there were several tools!!!! After finishing all the tools it was passed time for supper so my two amigos and I went to eat. Dinner was salad, potato salad/macaroni salad, chicken (I think), bread, rice, and beans. So, it was pretty good1 Just now Mrs. Betty said she made cake, and yes she did. She made carrot cake, with cream cheese frosting, yum yum!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment